Tuesday, January 17, 2012

St. Jude's

I received a beautiful letter from the Director of Child Life at St. Judes, agreeing to accept my donation of Princess Power Packs for little girls to color during their chemotherapy.  I am ecstatic. 

I had, this very day, read a sentence that I knew had been conceived specifically for my consumption in The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd:  August the beekeeper, says to Lily, the narrative character; "Actually, you can be bad at something, Lily, but if you love doing it, that will be enough."

I stopped reading and closed my eyes to soak in the wisdom.  I love art, and exceptional draftsmanship and talent thrill me to my toenails.  My own work will never be brilliant; but I will always love it.  Maybe that really will be enough!  Here is my confession, vulnerable and unrealistic though it might be:  I desperately hope love will be enough.

I'll put together as many Princess Power Packs as I can afford and bundle them off to Memphis, with love oozing from every page.


Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment